Get Started Here...

Contact Us

Learn More


Help with Debt Collections

If you are suffering abuse at the hands of a debt collector, you may be protected under the law. The fair debt collection practices act, or FDCPA, passed in 1977 was meant to protect the rights of consumers like you from abusive third party debt collectors. The legal protection is there, and experts are available to you without costing you any money.

What is a Debt Collector?

A debt collector is someone other than the creditor owed. It is a company or agency whose business is to recover the money owed the creditor on delinquent, or past due accounts. Many Debt Collectors provide collection services for a fee or percentage of the total amount owed. Some Debt Collectors, actually buy the debt and then attempt to collect the entire debt owed themselves.

Is My Debt Covered

The kind of debts covered by the FDCPA are consumer debts; debts that the consumer personally agreed to repay. These debts are generally from a transaction where the expense incurred was for personal, family or household and have not been collateralized- think credit cards, personal loans or medical debt. federal debts are not consumer debts.


Stop the Debt Collectors?

  • Instruct collector to stop contacting you.
  • You may send a letter stating that you want the collection agency to stop communicating with you. Putting something in writing is more effective than verbally informing them of your preference. The Debt collectors are then prohibited from calling you except to tell you about the debt ending or their intent to seek legal remedy. The longer you put off resolving the issue, the worse the consequences may be. Talk to a lawyer about a plan to resolve the situation.
  • Document illegal behavior. Do this as soon as it happens. Keep a log of the calls and letters. Start a folder or bin to keep the mail and logbook as you accumulate documentation on this collection account. If you feel you recognize a violation or abuse, let your FDCPA attorney know. Your state consumer protection agency will have a list of state specific collection laws.
  • File a complaint with the FTC.
  • Sue the FDCPA. If you are being repeatedly harassed by a debt collector, then it may require a suit to stop the harassment. If you incurred additional costs, like switching to an unlisted number, you may receive compensation for it. It will not cost you money to discuss this with an FDCPA attorney and learn your options.
* is a privately operated consumer advocate service that offers consumers valuable news, and resources, as well as access to licensed attorneys nationwide for legal representation, and various legal alternatives.* * is not a law firm and does not give legal advice or opinions and does not charge fees for services and does not accept payments from consumers for any services.* 12373 Kinsman Rd. Newbury, Ohio 44065 Read Full Disclaimer